ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ff-pdp-may08]

[gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Proof of concept for a simple FF reporting/evaluation tool

  • To: gnso-ff-pdp-May08@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Proof of concept for a simple FF reporting/evaluation tool
  • From: Joe St Sauver <joe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2008 00:07:05 -0700

Hi,

So I've got a functional-if-not-esthetic simple Fastflux testing
tool up at http://www.uoregon.edu/~joe/fastflux/simple.cgi
(that's a temporary URL which will go away after a few days
once folks have had a chance to give it a try -- this is not
meant to represent a permanent/perpetual service, just a
temporary proof of concept application, offered as-is,
where-is, with no warranty express or implied, etc.).

I call it "simple" because it only makes one pass through the
specified domain, and it only uses the default recursive resolver
to explore the provided domain, but that's enough for at least
some FF domains, and I've got ideas for enhancing it later if
folks think this would be helpful as a way of accepting
potential fastflux nominations from the public.

For now you can try plugging in domains like mineintuition.com,
spiritualitylost.com, or chairmake.com to see some currently high
scoring domains

Stick in www.yahoo.com or www.google.com or whatever for examples
of some low scoring domains.

Tests for domains in com|net|org|info|biz|pro|name|edu are currently
permitted; int|mil|gov are intentionally omitted.

If you stick in something that doesn't look like a domain name
at all, it should notice and also handle that.

I'm not currently routing the output anywhere as a report nor logging
the output of each test, but that shouldn't be too hard to add.

So anyway, we now have proof-of-concept code for domain-name based
fastflux reporting and evaluation. Feedback welcome.

G'night and regards,

Joe