ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ff-pdp-may08]

Re: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Abuse in general

  • To: "Marc Perkel" <marc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Abuse in general
  • From: "George Kirikos" <fastflux@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2008 23:31:22 -0400

Hello,

On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 11:17 PM, Marc Perkel <marc@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> This is the "Fast Flux" group but Fast Flux by itself isn't the problem.

Exactly. As I was pointing out elsewhere (not sure if it got reposted
to this list or not), fast flux can be used for "high availability"
which is something EVERYONE wants. Just because criminals adopted
"best practices" doesn't mean that everyone else should be blocked
from using that technique, especially in the future.

> It's fast flux used by people who everyone can agree are criminals. (Chinese
> disidents trying to get the word out about oppression in Tibet - NO. Mafia
> pretending to be a bank to trick you out of your password and steal your
> money - YES)

Right, that's when it starts to get difficult to "automate", as not
everyone is going to agree that XYZ are criminals. Some "criminals"
(or "undesirables") will still slip through the cracks, but at some
point we'll have to leave a solution that's still vulnerable to that,
but that shifts the burden of going after those smaller numbers to
someone else using different tools.

> So - what is our mission officially? Is it stopping phishing?

You're not alone in wondering here.....

Sincerely,

George Kirikos
www.LEAP.com