ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ff-pdp-may08]

RE: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Proposed Recommendation and FAQ, v1 -- Re-engineering

  • To: "gnso-ff-pdp-May08@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-ff-pdp-May08@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Proposed Recommendation and FAQ, v1 -- Re-engineering
  • From: "Mike O'Connor" <mike@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 10:13:02 -0500

Hi Greg,

Here's another in the threads triggered by your great note. Here's the snippet I'd like to respond to in this thread

"It's beyond scope of this WG to figure out how to re-engineer ICANN processes, which is what you're getting into below. "

I heartily agree that re-engineering ICANN processes is far outside of our scope. But it seems to me one of the things that we *can* contribute to those future efforts is a clear description of the difficulties we had within the current process -- and first-try ideas on how to address them.

First, the problem

We've been charged with a puzzle to solve, and a tool to solve that puzzle (the GNSO PDP process). I would argue that part of the reason we're having so much trouble is because the tool doesn't fit the puzzle. What are some of the dimensions of the tool? Here are some of my observations;

- It's a process optimized to support policy-making (really policy-approval). Its designers weren't building a process to do research, needs-assessment, design, process-development, brainstorming, etc. - It's a process exists within the boundaries of GNSO, and can't easily be applied outside of that entity - Other Supporting Organizations (SOs) have PDP processes too, but they're separate and different
- The process is intended to culminate at an up-down policy vote in the Council
- The schedule/timing is defined in the GNSO bylaws

That's all fine. But what happens when the ICANN community runs into a problem that spans more than one SO, as I think we've agreed we have? Or a problem that takes longer than 90 days? Or one that addresses a different kind of work than policy making/approval? There appears to be a void. This is a void that is likely to cause heartaches for other working groups and I think it *is* appropriate for us to throw up our hand and say "we need help on this one, and here's our best guess as to what that help could look like." Who better than us? We're the folks on the ground, doing the real work, facing the real problems, coming up with practical suggestions.

This is not a problem unique to the ICANN community (or the ICANN corporate structure). As organizations get bigger and more compartmentalized they run into this problem more and more.

The proposal

Let's presume that the cross-constituency notion is valid, and that my problem-statement above is correct. What to do?

One option would be to continue inside the GNSO PDP process, but the shoe doesn't fit very well and would probably have to be severely customized to fit our need. We could go to the GNSO Council with a series of "bylaw exception" requests to change timing, participation, process, deliverables, etc. But it would probably have to be a hack-job and repeated for each cross-constituency, non-policy project. Could be done though... Maybe this is the way to get this next phase done...

Another option would be to run parallel PDPs in all the SOs -- but that strikes me as likely to be a logistical nightmare. Maybe we could designate a "sponsoring SO" and accommodate the parallel PDP processes in the work-plan, but it would be really complicated and might break fairly easily. Still, it's a possibility...

The option I threw out isn't terribly radical, it's just a new thing for ICANN. Lots of projects are undertaken that span more than one functional unit within an organization. Let's do that. Surely there's an example of such a project we can point to. If not, it's ok to be the first. Let's not call it a PDP (so's not to invoke that process), but let's weave PDPs into the project plan in such a way that acknowledges the ultimate accountability and authority of the SOs.

PDPs (90-day, focused policy processes that lead to an up/down vote of an SO) are *great* for a lot of things, and represent a huge advantage that ICANN has over most large organizations. Most organizations are *terrible* at making policy, whereas ICANN has a lot of practice and experience to bring to bear. So let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater. For example...

PDPs would be great as checkpoints between project phases -- the team could produce a bunch of deliverables (including a detailed charter for the next phase), each SO would know that they'll have a chance to offer course-corrections and go/no-go approvals every step along the way. Which would address the fear of a run-away team, or of being railroaded by another SO. Not to mention provide a periodic review and approval of the resources expended and projected. Completely nifty.

PDPs would also be great for approving policy-changes, if the team discovers that they're needed. Again, this check/balance would reduce the fear of having policy rammed down people's throats.

Both of these things would make it easier for the *team* to operate, because they would know that there's a backstop for them if things go off the rails, which would reduce the fear of "giving too many concessions" or "hurting my constituency" during the project. Reducing fear is always a Good Thing.

So there's a longer version of the little snippet I stuck in the proposal yesterday. I'm not wedded to this, and could drop the whole thing out of the draft. But I think we could help the community by championing something along these lines.

Sorry about the long rant. Others can take up the process re-engineering banner, and perhaps learn from our pain and experiences. Greg, I don't want to make this one a show-stopper when it comes to getting on to the Next Thing, but I still like the idea.

Thanks!

voice: 651-647-6109
fax: 866-280-2356

web: www.haven2.com