ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ff-pdp-may08]

[gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Information Sharing Section

  • To: Fast Flux Workgroup <gnso-ff-pdp-May08@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Information Sharing Section
  • From: Marc Perkel <marc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2008 07:35:58 -0700

I'd like to see a little more in the "Information Sharing" section. Specifically something like saying that the publishing of the non-private information through DNS might be useful to assist in detecting and blocking spam that is promoting domains used in a fast flux fraud scheme. I think it's important to say why this information should be published through DNS.

Additionally it should be noted that the reason for using DNS rather than WHOIS is for high real time query speed for those who would say, "Why use DNS when WHOIS is already there."

Also - unless this already exists. Is there a way to determine the registrar of a domain through a DNS query? If there is I'd like to know it. If not then that is one of the fields I'd like to be able to look up through a DNS query.

You might also mention that this information might also be useful for abuse reporting so that those who detect a problem can alert those who can deal with the problem.

Other than that I'd like to say, Mike - you're doing a fine job. Don't get discouraged.