ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ff-pdp-may08]

Re: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Reminder -- today is the deadline for "replacement text" suggestions

  • To: "Mike O'Connor" <mike@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Reminder -- today is the deadline for "replacement text" suggestions
  • From: "Christian Curtis" <CCurtis79@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2008 18:16:42 -0400

    I'd like to request a brief addition under "who benefits from fast-flux"
and "who is harmed by fast flux" dealing with future uses.  I propose the
following text:

    The working group recognizes that future uses of this technology may be
developed and that, as a result, it is impossible to list all possible
beneficial and harmful uses of this technology.  Those using fast flux for
criminal purposes have had an incentive to develop uses more quickly than
legitimate users in order to stay ahead of security and law enforcement
efforts.  Because of this and because of the private and academic research
efforts focused on criminal uses of fast flux, the working group likely has
a clearer picture of the illicit uses of this technology than the legitimate
ones.  Nevertheless, there are likely both criminal and legitimate uses of
this technology that are unknown and unknowable at this time.

    --Christian