ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ff-pdp-may08]

[gnso-ff-pdp-may08] RSA Summary Data

  • To: Fast Flux Workgroup <gnso-ff-pdp-May08@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] RSA Summary Data
  • From: Rod Rasmussen <rod.rasmussen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 00:09:05 -0700

Folks,

Finally got permission from the powers-that-be at RSA that this can be released and included in the public report appendices - with attribution to RSA of course. More body-of-knowledge stuff to add to the overall picture here. Thanks to Yinon Glasner of RSA for pulling this data together from their databases - I know all too well how hard it can be to get summary data from a database designed to run anti- crime operations!

Best,

Rod

Rod Rasmussen
President and CTO
Internet Identity
1 (253) 590-4088

Begin forwarded message:

I hope this is of use, although the numbers are quite crude. I'll start with some definitions and constraints related to the data: - Most of the figures here are aggregated, and include Fast- Flux attacks, Rock attacks and other phishing attacks which are hosted on Botnets - "Phishing attacks" – a "phishing attack" was counted as a unique URL that targets a specific brand. For example – a single Rock Phish domain, as you most definitely know, usually targets several brands. Under the same domain, 5 different URLs can host attacks against 5 different brands. So – we counted it as 5 distinct Rock Phish attacks. - In some cases I counted domains rather than "attacks". A domain is, well, simply a domain… J
-          Data range is January 08 – June 08
- In general, I think it will be very useful for you to say that in usual months, Rock and/or Fast-Flux attacks constitute more than 50% of all phishing attacks

And now, the figures:

1.       The number of Rock Phish domains detected:
Jan
403
Feb
443
Mar
450
Apr
420
May
461
Jun
190

2. The number of Fast-Flux / Rock Phish / Botnet phishing attacks detected:
Jan
770
Feb
1158
Mar
1408
Apr
1647
May
1866
Jun
608

3. The number of brands targeted by Fast-Flux / Rock / Botnet- hosted attacks – 40

4. The list of top-20 registrars where Fast-Flux / Rock / Botnet phishing domains were registered in 2008 + the number of attacks hosted on these domains. Top-20 registrars were measured by the number of attacks, not domains.

Now.cn
1031
Eurodns.com
809
123-Reg
536
WildWest Domains
505
Key Systems
502
HKDNR
406
Melbourne IT
325
PublicDomainRegistry
305
Dot.tk
291
Register.com
273
Network Solutions
264
Today Nic
251
eNom
161
Nic.St - ST Registry
150
Yahoo
137
Tucows
133
COMMUNIGAL COMMUNICATIONS LTD
117
IA Registry
115
Bizcn
96
Online SAS

5. The list of countries where Fast-Flux / Rock / Botnet phishing attacks were hosted (country determined by the domain registrar's location):

United States
2413
China
1481
Germany
482
Luxembourg
472
United Kingdom
452
Hong Kong
406
Tokelau
228
India
196
Australia
173
Sao Tome Principe
149
Afghanistan
148
Israel
139
France
128
Canada
114
Netherlands
83
Ukraine
63
Spain
56
Belize
41
Kyrgyzstan
39
Turkey
36
Switzerland
25
Taiwan
22
Belgium
19
Sweden
17
Estonia
16

I hope this helps,

Yinon Glasner | Fraud Intelligence Business Analyst, OTMS | Identity and Access Assurance Group | RSA, The Security Division of EMC | Phone: +972.9.9728158 | Please note that my email address has changed to yinon.glasner@xxxxxxx