ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ff-pdp-may08]

[gnso-ff-pdp-may08] About "fingerprinting"

  • To: fast Flux Workgroup <gnso-ff-pdp-May08@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] About "fingerprinting"
  • From: Dave Piscitello <dave.piscitello@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 08:38:02 -0700

When reviewing the FF report, especially in the context of characteristics
that we describe as part of a "fingerprint", please bear in mind that the
practice of matching fingerprints relies on achieving as many possible
matches as possible. A fingerprint match with only 5 points is very
borderline, whereas a fingerprint match with 12-15 points is very
convincing/conclusive.

In the context of our report, I have tried, with others, to identify as many
markers fast flux investigators have identified as being associated with a
fast flux attack as possible. In no way am I suggesting that any single of
these characteristics is cause to conclude you've identified a FF attack
network.

Think of antispam software. The presence of a single use of a popular ED
brand should not mark mail as spam. Other criteria are used by quality
antispam software to block a mail because it is spam.