ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ff-pdp-may08]

Re: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Another example why due process is important

  • To: Fast Flux Workgroup <gnso-ff-pdp-May08@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Another example why due process is important
  • From: George Kirikos <fastflux@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2009 15:48:38 -0500

Hello,

On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 3:34 PM, Joe St Sauver wrote:
> I'd support stronger verification of identity at the time of domain
> registration, however that process assumes trustworthy registration
> service providers, and currently registration service providers are
> not subject to any sort of vetting as far as I'm aware.

True, it's not going to be 100% perfect, but a big step in the right
direction. Just like there are EV SSL certificates vs. self-signed
certs. Mistakes do happen occasionally in issuing SSL certs from even
the biggest providers. However, they do provide a "signal" that makes
it harder on the criminals.

> #c) new registrant who has malevolent intent has to supply a physical
> #address -- great tool for law enforcement to help track them down if
> #they commit a crime (not bad at all, except for the bad guys)
>
> Not all physical addresses result in fruitful investigative leads.
>
> For example, some miscreants might pay a dupe to receive and forward
> mail for them, much as some miscreants use dupes in "reshipping"
> fraud schemes.

Right, once again, not seeking perfection, but it definitely changes
the economics for the criminals, makes their job harder.

> I was interested in addressing the bad whois data problem as part of
> the group's work, but recall that there was significant push back at
> the time because other entities had been tasked with looking at the
> whois data quality issue, we already had a lot on our plates, etc.,
> etc.

Yes, it's hard when these issues are intertwined and interconnected.

Lastly, criminals are the most economically rational people -- they're
in it only for the money! Repeat -- criminals are easy to model
(except for the truly psychotic ones, political ones, terrorists,
etc.). Reduce the rewards, or raise their costs. Make things
unprofitable. They're going to be directly affected if you change the
economics drastically for them. (in the same way that domain tasting
was reduced by radically altering the economics through a small
non-refundable charge). If one starts to view things from an economic
perspective, instead of just a technological system design point of
view, certain solutions become apparent.

Sincerely,

George Kirikos
http://www.leap.com/