ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ff-pdp-may08]

RE: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Accommodating Ran Atkinson's comments

  • To: "'Dave Piscitello'" <dave.piscitello@xxxxxxxxx>, "'Fast Flux Workgroup'" <gnso-ff-pdp-May08@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Accommodating Ran Atkinson's comments
  • From: "Greg Aaron" <gaaron@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 10:36:59 -0400

Thank, Dave; this is helpful info.

If you like, feel free to work in or adapt any of this material about
volatility and short TTLs, which I wrote in the RyC input statement, at
lines 2151 ff in the current FFWG report.  I don't know if all such domains
are considered "volatile networks."  RFC 1035 refers to sites with "volatile
data." (Webster says "Volatile: characterized by or subject to rapid or
unexpected change.")

"Any entity that operates a Web site or other Internet service has
legitimate reasons for using short TTLs, at least for finite periods of
time.  Such uses are written into relevant RFCs, including the domain name
RFCs 1034 and 1035. Internet services that are subject to a high change
frequency legitimately use low TTLs, and even TTLs of zero. Uses of
zero-length TTLs are mentioned in relevant RFCs, including RFC 1035.
Imposing minimum lengths for TTLs is therefore contrary to standard
engineering practices, will interfere with the operation of existing sites
and services, may stifle the development of innovative services, and will
impose costs on site operators and their service providers. Even if such
limits were desired, there is presently no practical way that any entity
could impose minimum TTLs on those parties responsible for setting them
authoritatively."

I bet that over time, the use of short TTLs has become more common.
Certainly in mobile applications, where the user's location is dynamic.  And
I see short TTLs used by blogging sites, since those sites are updated
frequently.  Those have "volatile data" I guess.

I wonder what Twitter's TTL is?

All best,
--Greg