ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ff-pdp-may08]

Re: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Section 5.8

  • To: Marika Konings <marika.konings@xxxxxxxxx>, Fast Flux Workgroup <gnso-ff-pdp-May08@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Section 5.8
  • From: Dave Piscitello <dave.piscitello@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 02:02:57 -0700

I'll kick this off before Rod and Greg begin their presentation on 2009
phishing activity:-)

Is the answer to this question already addressed to some degree among the
"who is harmed?" and "who benefits from?" questions we have already
answered?

For example, it seems the report already talks a great deal about the issues
related to limiting values for TTLs. It seems we've already said that
limiting TTLs would :

- negatively impact beneficial application of TTLs in volatile networking
applications?
- impact fluxing attack networks to some extent but not sufficiently so to
eliminate the malicious use?

Do we want to tackle the question of whether registrars should limit how
frequently registrants may change TTLs? Ran Atkinson's enlightening comment
regarding mobility applications seems to give us at least one application
that would be adversly affected, yes?

What about fees for TTL changes? Looking at old threads, I see we talked
about the fact that fees would not generally deter criminal activity (they
are using someone else's money).