ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ff-pdp-may08]

Re: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Section 5.8

  • To: dave.piscitello@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Section 5.8
  • From: Joe St Sauver <joe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 08:47:20 -0700

Dave mentioned:

#Do we want to tackle the question of whether registrars should limit how
#frequently registrants may change TTLs?

Would registrars have the ability to control TTL changes? While many
registrars offer an integrated package that includes name registration and
DNS service, in other cases the two activities are completely decoupled.

If the registrar doesn't provide DNS service for their customer's name,
they wouldn't have control over, or even necessarily knowledge of, their
customer's TTL values.

I don't think this would be a productive line of action to pursue.

#What about fees for TTL changes? Looking at old threads, I see we talked
#about the fact that fees would not generally deter criminal activity
#(they are using someone else's money).

You're thinking about cases where someone is engaged in credit card fraud,
etc., right? While that is certinly common for some registrations, effort
such as the "Day Old Bread" list reduce miscreants' ability to nail up a
domain, use it immediately until it is discovered that it was fraudulently
ordered, iterating after that domain is disabled.

If you can induce what amounts to a community-imposed month long waiting
period before a domain is trusted, the ability of a miscreant to make
fraudulent orders is undercut, and then fees once again become a viable
tool for shaping behaviors (albeit *not* fees for "TTL changes")

Regards,

Joe