ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ff-pdp-may08]

RE: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Comment References, Interim Conclusions and Next Steps

  • To: <icann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'fast flux fast flux'" <gnso-ff-pdp-may08@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Comment References, Interim Conclusions and Next Steps
  • From: "Greg Aaron" <gaaron@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2009 13:34:09 -0400

Dear all:

Mike's changes need further discussion.

1) Mike has inserted the sentence: "Alternatively, process could be adopted
such that a neutral expert would determine the validity of complaints of
malicious flux exploits."

That issue was already discussed and closed off.  Under Avri's work as
chair, the WG established consensus and confirmed the statements at line
1444 ff (see Draft_Fast_Flux_Final_Report_-_2_June_2009).  The report
summarizes there:
"The ideas for active engagement that were discussed by the WG included the
following; the group did not reach consensus on or endorse any of them:
. Adopt accelerated domain suspension processing in collaboration with
certified investigators/responders."

Mike's addition should therefore be stricken.

2) Mike's edits at the end of the document change the meaning and purpose in
a manner not agreed to by the WG.  James's draft accurately reflects the
WG's discussion of how it wanted a way for people to "submit potential fast
flux domains for consideration by the working group" as part of its
research.  Mike has changed the draft to state that the WG wants ICANN to
create a reporting system for "parties that might take action against
illegitimate or illegal activity."  Those are two very different things.

Mike's change should be stricken.   The FFWG has never endorsed the idea
that ICANN create a WPDRS-like service for fast-flux, and has never endorsed
the idea that ICANN serve as a coordinator for any takedown-related
activities.  And there is no agreement that FF or domain takedowns are even
within ICANN's remit to address.

I suggest that we also strike the idea of asking ICANN to fund or help
implement a fast-flux collection system for our research purposes.  I think
that idea was floated before we got the research from Karmasphere and Arbor.
I wonder if the thing would tell us anything new, and I wonder if any of us
honestly has the time to verify and sift the data.  There's no reason to
spend time and money on something that is not needed or might not be used.

3) James' version said: "Successful mitigation of any single technique would
only change the macro environment for Internet fraud and abuse."
Mike changed that do:
"Successful mitigation of any single technique is likely to change the macro
environment for Internet fraud and abuse."

Maybe neither is what we want.  If you look at the sentence after, the point
is that that phishing etc would still continue without FF.  I think it
should read: "Successful mitigation of any single technique is not likely to
change the macro environment for Internet fraud and abuse -- every attack
that is enhanced by the use of fast flux techniques could be pursued without
them, but possibly at higher cost or effort for the attacker."

All bet,
--Greg