ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-geo-dg]

RE: [gnso-geo-dg] Principles for ICANN Region discussion

  • To: "Tim Ruiz" <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <gnso-geo-dg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-geo-dg] Principles for ICANN Region discussion
  • From: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 14:07:14 -0400

Good contributions Tim.  I recall something else you said in today's
meeting that possibly could be converted into a principle for
consideration.  What I am referring to is your comments about the number
of current users in Australia and New Zealand compared to some other
regions.  I took the liberty to word it into a principle for
consideration: "Existing users should not be inordinately
disenfranchised for the goal of fairly representing user groups who are
not yet active and may not be able to effectively participate in the
near term."  I am not totally comfortable with this wording but
hopefully it expresses somewhat of what I am getting at.

I can't help but thinking of the bicameral model in this regard.  It
seems important to somehow balance the participation of groups based on
their current level of use of the Internet with those who are
underrepresented currently.  The way this happens in the U.S. is two
legislatively houses, one for which each state, regarless of population
gets two Senators and the other for which Representatives are election
according to population.  Obviously, I am not thinking of a legislative
model, but it might be worthwhile thinking of some ways that both needs
could be met at the same time and could even be dynamic to adjust to the
changing Internet world.

Chuck