ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-gtld-dt]

Re: [gnso-gtld-dt] Kick-Off: Call for input on: "Impact of new gTLDs on ICANN's structure"

  • To: "Neuman, Jeff" <Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-gtld-dt] Kick-Off: Call for input on: "Impact of new gTLDs on ICANN's structure"
  • From: joy <joy@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2012 09:03:02 +1200

thanks for starting this discussion,
These are my personal thoughts (I've sent the discussion starter to
the NCSG list and am awaiting comments) and i am sure you will tell me
if they are off-target .....
Perhaps one challenge will be dealing with the impact of a plethora of
new constituences and new stakeholder groups (some genuinely new, som
re-configurations and alignments of existing) across both contracted
and non-contracted parties in the current GNSO council structure.
Questions include: how will these impact on the democratic,
participatory processes of Council? Is there a way for Council
processes to remain democratic and fair without growing exponentially
to reflect these new constituencies (or to be expected change every
time new/significant ones appear or new impacts of newgTLDs appear)?
Definitely echo Jeff on the impact on volunteers as well.

Joy

On 17/08/2012 4:45 a.m., Neuman, Jeff wrote:
> Not sure there is disagreement on identifying the challenges.
> Let's focus on the challenges to the Council itself and the policy
> process rather than the challenges to the Registry or Registrar
> stakeholder groups (or the other SGs / Constituencies).
>
> So, what are those challenges in people's minds. I confess that I
> am not sure there are that many that are introduced by the new gtld
> process that don't otherwise exist. One of the challenges we face
> as a council is that we are circumvented in policy making. Although
> exacerbated during the new gtld process, I am not sure it relates
> to the new gtlds per se.
>
> Another challenge is volunteer fatigue and the huge workload.
> Perhaps adding the additional new gtlds will help.
>
> A further challenge is dealing with the large influx of new
> entities showing up at icann meetings and on conference calls. Do
> we have the appropriate infrastructure in place?
>
> These are just a few. Please pile on.
>

> *From*: Thomas Rickert [mailto:rickert@xxxxxxxxxxx] *Sent*:
> Thursday, August 16, 2012 11:51 AM *To*: Taylor, David
> <David.Taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> *Cc*: Stéphane Van Gelder
> <stephane.vangelder@xxxxxxxxx>; Neuman, Jeff;
> 'gnso-gtld-dt@xxxxxxxxx' <gnso-gtld-dt@xxxxxxxxx> *Subject*: Re:
> [gnso-gtld-dt] Kick-Off: Call for input on: "Impact of new gTLDs on
> ICANN's structure"
>
> All, thanks for all your feedback. It is good to get the discussion
> going.
>
> Rest assured I agree that the questions / aspects that Stéphane
> and David mentioned are the ones that we should discuss. However, I
> would find it difficult to discuss this without establishing some
> facts beforehand. Only if we know what the challenges are, we can
> then say something about the need, if any, to change
> representation, voting structures etc.. These aspects would fit
> into what I called phase 2, i.e. the conclusions :-).
>
> May I ask all of us to concentrate on substance now rather than
> procedure? :-) I made a proposal to structure our discussion (and
> I still think it can be used without conflicting with the
> suggestions to focus on Council matters only) and I think it is a
> good and valuable exchange of thoughts to specify what we perceive
> our mandate to be.
>
> I guess we are now ready to collect input on the request itself.
>
> Thomas
>

> Am 15.08.2012 um 19:47 schrieb Taylor, David:
>
>> Hello All
>>
>> I would certainly agree with the need to consider how the GNSO
>> Council should be (re)structured and the number of Councillors,
>> representation and voting structures once the new gTLDs are
>> delegated.  It would also be nice if we keep it as simple as
>> possible… J
>>
>> David * **Dr. David Taylor* Partner

*Hogan Lovells (Paris) LLP