ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-gtld-dt]

Re: [gnso-gtld-dt] Kick-Off: Call for input on: "Impact of new gTLDs on ICANN's structure"

  • To: Thomas Rickert <rickert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-gtld-dt] Kick-Off: Call for input on: "Impact of new gTLDs on ICANN's structure"
  • From: Stéphane Van Gelder <stephane.vangelder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2012 12:50:41 +0200

Thanks Thomas and the group for your work on this so far.

As a reminder, the current draft agenda for our Sept 13 meeting includes an
update on your work, which is scheduled to be given by Thomas. So having the
draft letter sent to the Council list a day before would be most useful and I'm
sure the rest of the Council will appreciate that.

Thanks again.

Stéphane Van Gelder
Directeur Général / General manager
INDOM NetNames France
----------------
Registry Relations and Strategy Director
NetNames
T: +33 (0)1 48 01 83 51
F: +22 (0)1 48 01 83 61

Le 8 sept. 2012 à 19:33, Thomas Rickert a écrit :

> [...]
> to be inclusive.
>
> In quantitative terms, challenges are more predictable in some aspects. For
> sure, there will be
> - more attention by the general pubic and Governments;
> - more attendants at meetings, which has an impact on sizing the venues;
> - more groups that need administrative and technical support;
> - more telephone conferences with more participants and more remote
> participation;
> - more documents to be produced and read;
> - more decisions to be made and operationalized;
> - more contractors that need to be managed;
> - an increased budget to be administered;
> - more compliance issues that need to be taken care of;
> to name but a few areas of growth.
>
> While ICANN should have sufficient funds to meet these challenges, growth
> needs to be managed carefully. More staff and other operational resources
> will be needed to support the community and fulfill ICANN's mission while
> preserving operational excellence.
>
> These quantitative challenges require managerial responses that ICANN can
> prepare for. Such preparations should also encompass the increased burden on
> volunteers to deal with even more and potentially more complex material to
> work on. Processes and support schemes for volunteers should be designed to
> best possibly avoid volunteer fatigue.
> The unknown is what new groups will be established and what their place and
> role in the ICANN eco system shall be. However, additions will only lead to
> marginal changes that can be dealt with once they are known.
>
> In summary, the GNSO Council believes that the current structure is resilient
> to respond to the challenges to come as long as ICANN provides the resources
> required to accommodate an increasing number of participants / stakeholders
> and their respective needs.
>
> Am 28.08.2012 um 19:03 schrieb Thomas Rickert:
>
>> All,
>> anyone else who wishes to contribute?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Thomas
>>
>> Am 17.08.2012 um 18:34 schrieb <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>>
>>> All,
>>>
>>> I know that each individual constituency (I am participating in the work
>>> of the BC, for example) has taken up the request from the Chair as has
>>> the GNSO Council.  From our -- the Council's -- particular angle, I
>>> agree most with those who have pointed out the potential conflict
>>> between new players who want to participate immediately and the map of
>>> the "on ramp" ICANN has spent a long time designing.
>>>
>>> To that point, I would encourage the wider distribution of and a
>>> brighter light on the road to effective and meaningful participation.
>>> Here is the link: http://gnso.icann.org/en/about/participation.htm
>>>
>>> I know it is weak to fall back on process, but unless ICANN is going to
>>> be remade -- from the ground up -- it will be necessary for new people
>>> and companies to quickly understand the methods.

>>> 75116 Paris