ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-idn-wg]

[gnso-idn-wg] Role and Uses of the DNS

  • To: gnso-idn-wg@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [gnso-idn-wg] Role and Uses of the DNS
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2007 19:34:29 -0500

Hi,

I realize that I said something that might have been misunderstood about ICANN's responsibilities regarding DNS (I thought I heard a few sotto voce gasps).

Certainly the ICANN mandate toward the stability and security of the DNS and the Root File system means that there is a strong responsibility for some uses of the system. It is just that DNS is used for a great many things (notice the number of different record types/qtypes beyond A, AAAA, CNAME, DNAME, TA, DLV that can be served http://www.iana.org/assignments/dns-parameters ). It was these uses and abuses of the DNS that I thought were beyond the purview of ICANN.

a.