ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-idn-wg]

Re: [gnso-idn-wg] Role and Uses of the DNS

  • To: "Avri Doria" <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-idn-wg] Role and Uses of the DNS
  • From: "Sophia B" <sophiabekele@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2007 16:37:39 -0800

understood;)

On 06/02/07, Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi,

I realize that I said something that might have been misunderstood
about ICANN's responsibilities regarding DNS (I thought I heard a few
sotto voce gasps).

Certainly the ICANN mandate toward the stability and security of the
DNS and the Root File system means that there is a strong
responsibility for some uses of the system.  It is just that DNS is
used for a great many things (notice the number of different record
types/qtypes beyond A, AAAA, CNAME, DNAME, TA, DLV that can be served
http://www.iana.org/assignments/dns-parameters ).  It was these uses
and abuses of the DNS that I thought were beyond the purview of ICANN.

a.