ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-idncctlds-wg]

[gnso-idncctlds-wg] Draft for final review of GNSO comments re. the ccNSO/GAC Issues Paper

  • To: <gnso-idncctlds-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-idncctlds-wg] Draft for final review of GNSO comments re. the ccNSO/GAC Issues Paper
  • From: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 18:50:53 -0400

The attached document is ready for final review and editing by our small
group.  I attempted to highlight all changes made in today's meeting but
I would appreciate it if those who were on the call would verify to make
sure I did it accurately.  For those not on the call, we finished going
through all of the comments and proposed edits that group members had
submitted for the entire document.

This will be our plan of attack in our final teleconference call this
next Monday:

1.      Review, discuss and finalize the edits made in today's call
2.      Identify, discuss and finalize any other portions of the
document that any group members flag for additional consideration.

Action items for all group members, to be completed before our call this
coming Monday:

1.      Read the entire document to identify any sections that you think
need further discussion and/or possible edits and be prepared to
communicate them in our final meeting or earlier
2.      Be prepared to communicate your support or lack of support for
the final document; if there are any portions of the document that you
cannot support, be ready to submit a minority statement explaining your
concerns not later than 24 hours after the final document is distributed
to the list following our final meeting.
3.      Submit any comments or questions to the list for online
discussion between now and our final meeting.
4.      It would be extremely helpful if everyone can participate in our
final teleconference call, but if you cannot, please do the following:
1) understand that this meeting will be the final opportunity for input
into the final document; 2) notify me in advance of your inability to
participate; 3) at least 24 hours before the final meeting, communicate
via the list any points you want to make or edits you want to suggest
for any part of the document; 4) communicate your support or lack of
support for the document and whether you anticipate submitting a
minority statement within 24 hours after the final document is
distributed to the list following our final meeting.

Action items for Mark McFadden, needed NLT Sunday morning, 19 August:

1.      Write and submit text to the list for consideration as an
additional paragraph just prior to the start of Section A. (See comment
1 in the document.)  In particular, you made the following comment: : "
I believe that we might consider a set of general, overall principles by
which we formed our answer.  For instance, some text that urges the
ccNSO, GAC and interested governments to address those policy issues
that are specific to ccTLD issues.  In addition, there is the principle
that operational and general policy issues are guided by the GNSO's
ongoing work on the introduction of new gTLDs and IDNs.  I think a
separate paragraph, prior to the detailed comments would be helpful and
I would be happy to supply some text that goes after this paragraph."
2.      Write and submit text to the list for consideration as an
addition to the proposed GNSO response for the following question on
page 14: "c) How will such issues as competing requests (both domestic
and international) be dealt with?"  For reference, you made the
following comment in your original review of the document: "I think
there needs to be a richer answer here.  In a perfect world there would
be no competing requests and the idea of an international competing
request is a concept that makes very little sense to me.  DO you think
they meant those situations where .ORG supported Cyrillic?  I'm not
clear on what is being "competed" for in this question.  When I read the
question I thought it meant competing registries for ccTLD
representation in other scripts.  Can we chat on this one?  I'd be happy
to supply text, but perhaps I don't understand the question properly."
(See comment 2 in the document.)

Action item for Glen:  Take whatever steps are necessary in advance of
our final meeting so that we can all view the document live during our
call.

Chuck Gomes