ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-idng]

Re: Purpose & Scope of IDNG WG [RE: [gnso-idng] scope of discussion]

  • To: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Edmon Chung <edmon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <gnso-idng@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: Purpose & Scope of IDNG WG [RE: [gnso-idng] scope of discussion]
  • From: Stéphane Van Gelder <stephane.vangelder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2009 17:02:28 +0200

Thanks Chuck.

See this is where the issue gets unclear to me. There is indeed a clear
position from the GNSO Council that IDN gTLDs and ccTLDs should be released
at the same time. This having been said with no reference (if memory serves)
to any fast-track on one side or the other. But as there is already a very
official initiative to launch an IDN ccTLD fast-track, one would then have
to assume that the Council in stating that both g and ccs should be done at
the same time, is asking for a fast-track for IDN gTLDs.
Yet we have never really done so.

So looking at how much time has already been spent on the IDN ccTLD fast
track, I am worried that if this WG is only now starting to look at the
possibility of an IDN gTLD fast-track, the new gTLDs will actually already
be online by the time this work is done.

But maybe I'm being a little over-pessimistic here.

My suggestion: let's make it clear that we are, or are not, as a WG, working
to structure and propose a fast-track for IDN gTLDs.

Stéphane