ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-idng]

RE: Purpose & Scope of IDNG WG [RE: [gnso-idng] scope of discussion]

  • To: Stéphane Van Gelder <stephane.vangelder@xxxxxxxxx>, "Edmon Chung" <edmon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <gnso-idng@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Purpose & Scope of IDNG WG [RE: [gnso-idng] scope of discussion]
  • From: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2009 10:38:35 -0400

Stephane,

Please see my comments below.

Chuck

Chuck: Maybe a better way to express this would be to say "in case there is a
significant gap between the introduction of fast track IDN ccTLDs and the
introduction of IDN gTLDs".

> Who is this being considered by? There's been no formal
> position taken on this by either the GNSO Council or the
> Board or Staff. Quite the contrary in fact...

Chuck: You are corect that the Council hasn't taken a position on this; the
purpose of this informal group is to explore whether we can develop a possible
position that the Council could consider.  But it should also be noted that the
Council has taken a clear position that IDN ccTLDs and IDN gTLDs should be
introduced at the same time and the GNSO and ccNSO have agreed to set up a
joint group to discuss the timing issue.