ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-idng]

Re: Purpose & Scope of IDNG WG [RE: [gnso-idng] scope of discussion]

  • To: Edmon Chung <edmon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <gnso-idng@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: Purpose & Scope of IDNG WG [RE: [gnso-idng] scope of discussion]
  • From: Stéphane Van Gelder <stephane.vangelder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 10:03:15 +0200

Thanks Edmon,

In general, I support fast-track processes if they can help bring out
certain types of gTLDs that need not be delayed by the overall process.

I am thinking here more of geographic names for example.

My problem with extending this to IDNs is that they are so wide ranging.
They don't constitute a sub-gTLD category as such in my view. What I mean is
that you can have an IDN gTLD for a City (and that would IMO warrant a
fast-track in the face of undue delays to the general gTLD program) but also
for a product name for example. In this second example, I don't see how a
fast-track can be justified for this sort of name.

Thanks,

Stéphane