ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-idng]

RE: Purpose & Scope of IDNG WG [RE: [gnso-idng] scope of discussion]

  • To: Stéphane Van Gelder <stephane.vangelder@xxxxxxxxx>, "Edmon Chung" <edmon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <gnso-idng@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Purpose & Scope of IDNG WG [RE: [gnso-idng] scope of discussion]
  • From: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 10:18:03 -0400

Stephane,

The main reason in my opinion for considering a possible fast track for IDN
gTLDs are: 1) to avoid the possible competitive advantage of fast track IDN
ccTLDs if the IDN ccTLD Fast Track process starts before the New gTLD process;
2) to allow registrants who operate across multiple ccTLD regions to have the
option of registering their names in one IDN gTLD instead of multiple IDN
ccTLDs. I don't think there is a competition issues with regard to geographic
names; I don't believe they will be disadvantaged in any specific way if the
IDN ccTLD Fast Track process starts before the New gTLD process because the IDN
ccTLD Fast Track process will contain a very limited set of names that will
include only variations of country names.

The goal in my understanding is not to mitigate delays in the New gTLD process
in a general sense but rather to consider whether to try to mitigate impacts if
the IDN ccTLD Fast Tract and the New gTLD processes do not start at the same
time.

As soon as we try to mitigate delays of the New gTLD process in a general
sense, every interested party is going push for fast tracks of their category
of names.  What reason would we have for expediting city names versus brand
names or previously applied for gTLDs, etc.?  Every interested group would I am
sure argue that there is no reason to delay their category of names.  I
understand the motivation in that regard but don't see how we good justify it
equitably.

Chuck