ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-idng]

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Re: Purpose & Scope of IDNG WG [RE: [gnso-idng] scope of discussion]

• To: gnso-idng@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Purpose & Scope of IDNG WG [RE: [gnso-idng] scope of discussion]
  • Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 10:33:30 -0400

On 10 Apr 2009, at 10:18, Gomes, Chuck wrote:

As soon as we try to mitigate delays of the New gTLD process in a general sense, every interested party is going push for fast tracks of their category of names. What reason would we have for expediting city names versus brand names or previously applied for gTLDs, etc.? Every interested group would I am sure argue that there is no reason to delay their category of names. I understand the motivation in that regard but don't see how we good justify it equitably.

One of the keys here would also be determining what non-controversial meant. In IDN ccTLD FT they managed to limit scope of this to the government, internet community and ccTLD holder of the country concerned. As limited as this is, and the council did question this limited scope, I do not know how anything could be determined to be non-controversial on a global scope. I am sure that for any IDN GTLD that someone proposes we could find someone to object and make it controversial. This would especially be the case in the event of an IDN GTLD meant to challenge the business case of an IDN ccTLD. In that case we would need some sort of deliberation cycle which of course would mean it was no longer non controversial.

One could argue that IDN geo TLDs might be non-controversial because they can get government endorsement. But then why is one less so then another. And if cities are using these things to boast tourism or boast their international presence to get some sort of decision like the scheduling of a major conference or sporting event, would no other cities be able to complain about their competitor city getting a TLD before they do.

a.

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy