ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-idng]

RE: [gnso-idng] Draft Charter for an IDNG WG

  • To: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Edmon Chung <edmon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "gnso-idng@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-idng@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-idng] Draft Charter for an IDNG WG
  • From: Adrian Kinderis <adrian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 15:09:26 +1000

Team, where are we at?

I have just read the transcript and am keen for a discussion on the topic.

When are we next meeting (teleconference again?)?

Hopefully in hours that are conducive to AEST.

To preview my feelings on the group;

What is the difference between an IDN gTLD and an ASCII gTLD and why would it
be sufficient to require a fast track? Just because they are different scripts
doesn't mean they don't suffer the same issues with trademark infringement etc
that new ASCII gTLD are currently managing.

IDN ccTLD are able to fast track because they are able to define their area
from an existing list (and are finite). The same could not be said for IDN
gTLD's.

I would have more preference for a geo TLD fast track as there is a finite
groups and ICANN staff (and GNSO Council) have done well to define the rules
and restrictions around their take up.

Anyway, just a few thought to get the ball rolling.

Adrian Kinderis