ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-idng]

[gnso-idng] reworking IDNG

  • To: <gnso-idng@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-idng] reworking IDNG
  • From: "Edmon Chung" <edmon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 07:26:38 +0800

Hi Everyone,

Given that most are already or commencing their travel to Sydney, perhaps it is
best we further discuss the item on Sunday at the scheduled slot for IDN.
Therefore, it is probably best that no motion will be circulated to the council
yet.

Based on the discussions we have had so far there seems to be strongest
interest to:
- seek / express emphasis, on the parity/fairness between the introduction of
IDN ccTLDs and IDN gTLDs.  In my mind, the IDN gTLD Fast Track (whether or not
it is implemented) was one option/attempt to drive that demand and to offer a
possible remedy.

The concerns for an IDN gTLD Fast Track meanwhile is mainly on:
- whether it will further delay the full new gTLD process.  And measures to
avoid such delays if an IDN gTLD Fast Track is being considered.

Floating this discussion to others in the community, I have also gotten strong
feedback about the problems for potential IDN gTLD applicants given the
currently drafted implementation (i.e. applicant guidebook).  More importantly
on:
- the implementation of variant management at the root (i.e. for IDN TLDs)
- considerations given to IDN TLDs that purport to mean the same and to serve
the same community as another ASCII or IDN TLD
- and of course the ongoing issue of the minimum number of IDN characters
allowed for an IDN TLD

Bringing the thoughts expressed together, perhaps we could proceed with the
following 3 areas:
1. Re-emphasizing the importance of parity in the source of funding for IDN
ccTLD activities
2. Actions to harmonize the introduction of new IDN TLDs, including both new
IDN ccTLDs and IDN gTLDs
3. Implementation recommendations for introduction of IDN TLDs

Given the above, I think it may make sense to re-draft the charter for an IDNG
WG such that it would NOT only seek a Fast Track approach but would address 2.
and 3. above to include:
- Possible solution/recommendation for the harmonization of the introduction of
new IDN TLDs, between new IDN ccTLDs and IDN gTLDs (with one possible action
being an IDN gTLD Fast Track but not necessarily so)
- Implementation recommendations for introduction of IDN TLDs, including both
IDN ccTLDs and IDN gTLDs
Both of which could be proceeded based on policy recommendations for IDNs
already produced, and aimed to provide implementation recommendations.

And then also to have a resolution at the GNSO council regarding 1.

Thoughts?

Edmon