ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-idng]

Re: [gnso-idng] IDN TLD Info from the ccNSO

  • To: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-idng] IDN TLD Info from the ccNSO
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2009 23:25:40 -0400

Chuck,

I'd like to ensure that the variants tables for Indic and Arabic scripts, as well as for CJK scripts, are identified and available to every registry (or subregistry) interested in them. I don't see any utility in two or more registries using two or more tables with any substantive variation between the table instances for the same script.

Eric

Gomes, Chuck wrote:
Here's some information from the ccNSO discussion this past week # regarding technical issues regarding IDN TLDs: The sentiment was that the technical problems are not really problems and there is no reason to delay IDN ccTLDs. # Tina Dam explained that ICANN is looking for an 80% solution to IDN technical problems, not a 100% one. In spite of the above, I would like to conclude that the ccNSO will still join with us in working on the technical problems like variants as we discussed in the Council meeting on Wednesday. Chuck