ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-idng]

[gnso-idng] Joint IDN WG (JIG)

  • To: <gnso-idng@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-idng] Joint IDN WG (JIG)
  • From: "Edmon Chung" <edmon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 17:19:43 +0800

Hi Everyone,

After some further discussion with Jane of CCNSO, please find attached a draft
of the charter for the JIG.

As mentioned earlier, the purpose would be to discuss and provide
implementation and policy recommendations to ICANN regarding issues of common
interest between IDN ccTLDs and IDN gTLDs.

2 particular conceptual features of the JIG would be:
1. that if either SO feel that an issue is out of scope its unilateral
understanding would put the issue out of scope for the JIG
2. that it is ongoing and will produce recommendations for each SO's council to
consider from time to time

And of course, as mentioned earlier as well, we will start with the following:
- IDN TLD length
- Variant management for TLD strings
- IDN Language table implementation at the root

Thoughts and comments welcome...

If we feel that this looks right, would also like to prepare a resolution for
the council to vote on at our upcoming meeting (Jane will be doing the same at
the CCNSO).

Edmon