ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-idng]

Re: [gnso-idng] rethinking IDN gTLDs

  • To: gnso-idng@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-idng] rethinking IDN gTLDs
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 00:35:20 -0500

On 29 Nov 2009, at 17:20, Edmon Chung wrote:

> A. Currently the DAG only contemplates completely new IDN gTLDs which are
> unassociated with existing (or future gTLDs)
>
> B. There is clear interest (including from the user community and the
> registries admittedly) to offer a consistent continuum for full IDN
> experience with tightly integrated IDN gTLDs (e.g. that an IDN gTLD would run
> the same zonefile as another gTLD, OR that an IDN gTLD would offer 2LDs only
> to the same registrant as another bundled gTLD)

These were conceived of from the first in the GNSO Council discussions.  It was
just decided not to give them special status.

Isn't it just an attribute of some application that someone says they wish to
tightly couple, same or similar zoneflle, them to existing gTLDs they are the
registry of?  I am sure that some people have had it in mind since day 1, but
whenever it was spoken of, it was considered not salient to the application
process or to priority within that process.

And even in a parallel case where some people wanted to apply for a new gTLD
with tight coupling between an IDN and a LDH, that was considered as irrelevant
and requiring two separate applications.

So I would say that the current set of conditions in DAG in this respect does
correspond to what was intended in the policy recommendation.

a.