ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-idng]

RE: [gnso-idng] rethinking IDN gTLDs

  • To: <gnso-idng@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-idng] rethinking IDN gTLDs
  • From: "Edmon Chung" <edmon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 15:14:10 +0800

I think I disagree with that interpretation.  The discussion in the IDN WG
was whether existing gTLDs should be given presumptive priority or not, and
that discussion led to them not given presumptive priority.  Whether a
mechanism to allow for the processing of such application WITHOUT
presumptive priority could be implemented is left open.

The policies also talk about confusingly similar strings.  But what is not
included is whether a registry (whether existing or future) could thereupon
apply for a confusingly similar string to its own TLD.  That is the part
which I think requires some implementation attention for IDN gTLDs.

The problem is not whether they are considered separate applications, but
whether there should be a different way to process it given that the string
applied for is in fact confusingly similar to a particular TLD.

Edmon

It was