ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-idng]

RE: [gnso-idng] RE: same string registered at 2nd level across different IDN gTLDs [RE: [gnso-idng] rethinking IDN gTLDs]

  • To: "Tim Ruiz" <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <gnso-idng@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-idng] RE: same string registered at 2nd level across different IDN gTLDs [RE: [gnso-idng] rethinking IDN gTLDs]
  • From: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2009 13:51:30 -0500

Tim,

There are a nearly unlimited number of strings available for new gTLDs without
taking advantage of an an existing brand.  I understand that some people may
prefer to take advantage of the value of an already established brand but I
personally do not think that is the best way to encourage competition.  Do you
disagree with that?

What would be confusingly similar about .shop?  I can't see how the definition
of confusingly similar in the recommendations would apply to .shop.  In fact, I
am not even sure what TLD you think .shop would be similar to.

Chuck