ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-idng]

Re: [gnso-idng] RE: same string registered at 2nd level across different IDN gTLDs [RE: [gnso-idng] rethinking IDN gTLDs]

  • To: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-idng] RE: same string registered at 2nd level across different IDN gTLDs [RE: [gnso-idng] rethinking IDN gTLDs]
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 05 Dec 2009 11:02:18 -0500

Gomes, Chuck wrote:
Note that this is a draft charter that I don't think even this group ever
agreed on.  If I am incorrect on this, please correct me.

That is my understanding Chuck. I was surprised (and pleased) that ICANN's conference bridge was available, and staff were available for the call.

I'm glad the CDNC group appears to have also had the same assistance, to draw a conclusion from Edmond's initial remarks during the call.

So, I don't think the participants of the "JIG" ever rejected the idea of a cross-SO project, which is different from a joint session in that any ccTLD operator may also intend to apply, directly or through a 3rd party, for a gTLD IDN, an interest absent in the joint meetings (though there are gTLD operators who also operate ccTLD registries).

I also don't think the participants of the IDNG, a sort of post-JIG label on some of the same people, ever expressed a consensus on what ideas or issues it will work on.

We could, for instance, answer the question asked, which, if any, of the "four overarching issues" are materially different for IDNs?

Steve's made the point that the IPR issue is materially different for non-Latin IDNs. That leaves the economic analysis issue, the maleware issue, and the security and stability issue to be investigated.

We could, for instance, answer the implicit question of what "no disadvantage" means when there is a concrete implementation schedule for the ccTLD IDN FT applicants, and therefore a concrete operator availability of scripts schedule.

We could, for instance, answer a more GNSO centered question, independent of the script choices and availability dates of the ccNSO members participating in the ccTLD IDN FT, and make independent script availability recommendations.

These all could be left to the two SO PDP activities, but those could take several years to reach their respective conclusions.

So, I think there's no charter at present.

Eric