ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-idng]

Re: [gnso-idng] 3rd Draft on Sting Similarity

  • To: gnso-idng@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-idng] 3rd Draft on Sting Similarity
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 09:36:57 +0100

Hi

My problem with your re-write is that it presupposes that translation is a
primary cause for 'confusingly similar'  and as I and others have argued, this
is not universally accepted (though I do accept meaning as a possible
complicating factor in an objection, I am not sure others even go that far).

If we are going to include examples we should include example of 'beneficial
similarity'  based on the lowest common denominator condition of visual
similarity with which we all agree.  Something with the variation in Chinese or
simplified or perhaps something even from LDH/extended ASCII (.aero/.æro), or
even a cyrillic/LDH example (.сом/.com)

a.