ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-igo-ingo-qc]

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index

[gnso-igo-ingo-qc] Qualification Criteria Group - Shortlisting/Prioritization

  • To: "gnso-igo-ingo-qc@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-igo-ingo-qc@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-igo-ingo-qc] Qualification Criteria Group - Shortlisting/Prioritization
  • From: Kiran Malancharuvil <kmalancharuvil@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 20:02:29 +0000

Dear Qualification Criteria Group Members,

As per Thomas' email below, please send your input regarding
Shortlisting/Prioritization of the Qualification Criteria that the group has
developed.

As group leaders, we submit the following preliminary opinions regarding the
Qualification Criteria:

The most objective, and useful criterion to the inquiry is the existence of
national laws or treaties that prohibit the unauthorized use of the
words/designations in question.

We also feel that "status" is an appropriate, objective, inquiry, as long as
the language is changed to "not-for-profit status" rather than "charitable"
status, which may be misleading.

We do not believe that the following are useful inquiries for the ultimate
purpose of this discussion:

        Recognized relationship with countries/IGOs/INGOs
        Work provides services to a number of countries
        Recognized relationship with services to the public/individuals
        Organizations serve a public good
        Organizations can use RPMs
        Organizations communicate directly with the public
        Membership composition
        Years in existence

While some of these items provide supportive reasons or benefits justifying
protection, and various IGOs and INGOs satisfy a number of these items, they
are not as objective as national laws or treaties are as qualification
criteria.

Please provide your comments as soon as possible.

Best regards,

Jim Bikoff, David Heasley and Kiran Malancharuvil

Kiran J. Malancharuvil
Silverberg, Goldman & Bikoff, L.L.P.
Georgetown Place
1101 30th Street NW, Suite 120
Washington, DC 20007
(202) 944-3307 - office
kmalancharuvil@xxxxxxxxx

This message from the law firm of Silverberg, Goldman & Bikoff LLP may contain
confidential or privileged information. If you received this transmission in
error, please call us immediately at (202) 944-3307 or contact us by e-mail
at kmalancharuvil@xxxxxxxxx. Disclosure or use of any part of this message by
persons other than the intended recipient is prohibited.