ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-igo-ingo]

RE: [gnso-igo-ingo] IGO-INGO - Legal Issues Review - RySG Proposal

  • To: "Maher, David" <dmaher@xxxxxxx>, "Shatan, Gregory S." <GShatan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Jim Bikoff <jbikoff@xxxxxxxxx>, "gnso-igo-ingo@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-igo-ingo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-igo-ingo] IGO-INGO - Legal Issues Review - RySG Proposal
  • From: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2012 16:16:33 +0000

It seems to me that the WG clearly needs direction from the GCO regarding the
applicability of international statutes and national laws regarding domain
registrations involving the organizations under the purview of our charter.
Not only will that direction guide our work but it also will help the GNSO deal
with the GAC's question as to why a PDP is needed; the GAC appears to believe
that the law is clear so a PDP isn't even needed.  There is no doubt in my mind
that there are international statutes and national laws that deal with this
subject but I am not at all clear regarding how the actually apply to
registration of domain names nor am I qualified to make that judgment.

Our challenge then is to word the request in a way that maximizes our chances
of getting a helpful response from the GCO.  Would it be helpful to form a
small subgroup of qualified volunteers to refine the wording of the request?
If so, I would recommend that Greg and David be the first volunteers.

Chuck