ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-igo-ingo]

[gnso-igo-ingo] FW: IGO-INGO Proposed Agenda - 28 NOV 2012

  • To: <gnso-igo-ingo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-igo-ingo] FW: IGO-INGO Proposed Agenda - 28 NOV 2012
  • From: "Berry Cobb" <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2012 10:40:48 -0700

Team,

Please find below the proposed agenda for the next IGO-INGO meeting.

Proposed Agenda - IGO-INGO WG Meeting - 28 NOV 2012 @ 15:00 UTC (120 Min):
1.            Roll Call
2.            Statements of Interest
(https://community.icann.org/display/gnsosoi/New+SOIs)
3.            Status of General Council Request

4.            Review Request for Input from SO/AC & SG/C

5.            Continue Exploration of Issues defined in Charter (See note
from the Chair below)

6.            Review IGO-INGO Work Plan
7.            Next steps & confirm next meeting

Action Items:
1.             None yet

Note from the IGO-INGO Chair:
Dear Colleagues,

I would like to share some thoughts with you in preparation of tomorrow's
call.

First of all, as you know, we have sent the request for a legal assessment
to General Counsel, but have not yet received a reply. I have asked staff to
contact GC to inquire when we can expect an answer. Hopefully we will be
able to factor this into our work plan shortly.

In order to expedite our work, I would like to seek your views on
structuring the work as described below. Please note that this is all
tentative. Hence, I have not used wording such as "potential protections",
but only "protections" assuming we all agree that all factors are up for
discussion. You might also think that answering some of the questions is
premature since the questions only need to be answered if we get that far in
the process, but since time is of essence, I would like the group to think
about all the things that might be relevant from the very beginning.

A. Qualification criteria

1. One vs. multiple types

-          Shall there be one set of qualification criteria?

-          Shall there be different sets of criteria for different types of
organizations? If so, which?

2. Eligibility criteria

-          Protection under Treaties / Laws?

-          Take IOC/RC or another organization as benchmark?

B. Eligibility check

1. Who should determine whether qualification criteria are met?

-          ICANN?

-          Contractor?

-          Third party?

-          Use an existing list?

C. Protection(s)

-          Addition to the reserved names list

-          Modified reserved names list with exemption process

-          Modified RPM

D. Admission to protections

1. Should all organizations fulfilling the Qualification criteria and who
have passed the eligibility check get the protections?

a)      Per se?

b)      Upon application?

c)       Subject to additional criteria?

-          In case of 1c), what could additional criteria be?

o   The organization must evidence having been exposed to harm (UDRP cases?,
court decisions?, targeted attacks?)

o   The organization must evidence that it is likely to face harm?

Thank you.  B

Berry Cobb

720.839.5735

mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx