ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-igo-ingo]

RE: [gnso-igo-ingo] FW: IGO-INGO Proposed Agenda - 28 NOV 2012

  • To: "gnso-igo-ingo@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-igo-ingo@xxxxxxxxx>, "'Berry Cobb'" <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-igo-ingo] FW: IGO-INGO Proposed Agenda - 28 NOV 2012
  • From: GUILHERME ricardo <ricardo.GUILHERME@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 14:31:13 +0000

Dear Berry,

Thank you very much for the proposed agenda and draft documents.

In line with previous comments made by the UPU on this topic, we would
respectfully request that a number of changes be made to the draft input
requests, particularly in order to ensure consistency with the spirit of the WG
Charter, as well as to correctly indicate the references/titles used for some
of the web pages provided at the end of the document.

Therefore, the language to be used in these input requests must at least
reflect the mission and scope of the WG to provide policy recommendation on the
need for special protections at the top and second level in all existing and
new gTLDs for the names and acronyms of the following types of international
organizations: International Governmental Organizations (IGOs) and
International Non-Governmental Organizations (INGOs). In this regard, we note
again that this WG is NOT limited to RCRC/IOC names, which are simply a subset
of the wider universe of INGOs.

Finally, we must also emphasize that the WG is supposed to provide
recommendations concerning the protection of the names and acronyms of IGOs and
INGOs (including as the case may be the IOC and the RCRC for the latter
category) on the basis of sound, objective and non-discriminatory criteria, and
in conformity with the relevant international and domestic legal principles
applicable to IGOs (as already acknowledged by the GAC and its members) and, as
the case may be, to certain INGOs.

So if the WG wishes to study possible protections for INGOs, it should do so
without individualizing organizations contained in that very category (without
prejudice, of course, to re-using any valid analyses that may have been
performed over the last years on this topic).

With kind regards from Berne,

Ricardo Guilherme

p.s.: Due to time constraints we were only able to edit the draft concerning
the Stakeholder Group / Constituency / Input Template; however, the same kinds
of changes should also be applied to the SO/AC chair template.