ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-igo-ingo]

[gnso-igo-ingo] Request for Confirmation

  • To: "gnso-igo-ingo@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-igo-ingo@xxxxxxxxx>, "Thomas Rickert (rickert@xxxxxxxxxxx)" <rickert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-igo-ingo] Request for Confirmation
  • From: "Claudia MACMASTER TAMARIT" <MACMASTER@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2013 15:57:59 +0000

Hi Thomas and all,

We have spent quite some time discussing the importance of developing objective
eligibility criteria.  Before we continue, we propose it is important to
consider if there are any restrictions on that discussion embedded in the
language of our Charter, and to ensure that any such restrictions be read in an
unbiased and straight-forward way.  In other words, if there are eligibility
criteria already included in the Charter, we need to agree their inclusion is
appropriate and allow ample room for discussion to define them.

Charter:  Mission and Scope ("and")

We've already asked whether the wording of this WG's Charter is meant to
restrict our considerations to both INGOs receiving protections under treaties
and INGOs receiving protections under multiple jurisdictions, or INGOs in both
categories.  We've suggested that requiring that INGOs receive protections
under both categories to be eligible for special protections might be
inappropriately restrictive.

Charter:  Mission and Scope ("protections")

Leaving that question aside, we should consider that the word "protection" in
the Charter is quite broad and there is no inherent prioritization of some
protections over others (or some treaties/statutes over others).

If that is the case, then presumably international organizations can point to
the protections under treaties they receive for their names/acronyms, e.g.,
that are registered as international trademarks under the Madrid Agreement
Concerning the International Registration of Marks or as well-known marks under
the Paris Convention for the Protection of Industrial Property.  Likewise, many
international organizations may rely on trademark registrations in more than
one jurisdiction to qualify them as receiving protections under multiple
jurisdictions.

On a plain reading of the language of our Charter, we would like to confirm
that there are no hidden restrictions on the definition of "protection," e.g.,
that an organization be specifically named in the treaty or statute itself.

Objective Criteria Applied to an Objectively Defined Group

We propose we should make it clear now that if we are indeed bound to consider
only international organizations that receive protection under treaties and
multiple jurisdictions (whether or not this means "both") that the meaning of
"protections" shall be sufficiently broad to enable us to determine and
recommend truly objective criteria.

Sincerely,
Claudia

Claudia MacMaster Tamarit, Esq.
Intellectual Property Rights (IPR) Manager

International Organization for Standardization (ISO)
ISO Central Secretariat
T:  + 41 22 749 0441
F:  + 41 22 733 3430
E:  macmaster@xxxxxxx<mailto:macmaster@xxxxxxx>