ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-igo-ingo]

[gnso-igo-ingo] IOC Comments for IGO INGO PDP Working Group

  • To: "gnso-igo-ingo@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-igo-ingo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-igo-ingo] IOC Comments for IGO INGO PDP Working Group
  • From: Kiran Malancharuvil <kmalancharuvil@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2013 01:06:09 +0000

Dear all,

Please find, attached and below, the IOC comments for the IGO/INGO PDP Working
Group.  Apologies for duplication to the Qualification Criteria group.

RE: Nature of the Problem

In addition to our statements included in the spreadsheet, we have a few
concerns that we would like to address before or during the call tomorrow.

1.      The row headings (questions) themselves (e.g.: Cost of defensive
registrations; costs of stopping infringing domain registrations) are no longer
presented in an unbiased fashion.  We feel that encouraging participants to
look at an inquiry in a certain way may encourage a predetermined conclusion
(e.g.: "In reviewing costs, one must first determine to what degree costs and
legitimate and to what extent they are based on FUD and featherbedding by
groups who want to preserve their livelihood.  The fact that a lot of money is
currently being spent in a [sic] infringement protection industry does not mean
that these expenses are warranted [sic].").  We would respectfully advocate for
a simple question, with arguments and suggestions made in the body of the
spreadsheet.

a.       In addition, we are unclear what you mean by "FUD."

2.      We object to the focus on United States law in the row headed "Domain
names can be registered by unauthorized parties under circumstances where
authorization is required by law.  Bearing in mind that due process of law to
protect legal rights is available."  The IOC has provided a list of national
statues that protect the words Olympic and Olympiad, and we respectfully
encourage a more global viewpoint.  Insofar as the United States is used as an
example, we object to the use of the INTA Fact Sheet as an authoritative and
accurate source.  We have addressed the various inaccuracies in the spreadsheet
itself.

3.      We object to the row headed "A public good is infringed upon."
Although the IOC can easily demonstrate that it uses over 90% of its revenue to
further the public good through its mission of Olympism and that this is harmed
by the diversion of resources to protect the Olympic names in the domain name
space, the "public good" criteria is ambiguous and subjective, and we believe
that the primary focus of the group should be on the various laws that protect
the use of the Olympic words.

In addition, we are disappointed that the group included the erroneous
statement that "Primarily a commercial interest is at stake for the IOC.  Any
public good is secondary to the billion dollar commercial licensing businesses
that is the main impact of IOC."  While opinions are encouraged in this group,
misstatements of fact should be eliminated.  The IOC is a legal recognized
not-for-profit organization which diverts over 90% of its revenue to furthering
the goals of Olympism.  The six aims of Olympism are: Peace through Sport,
Education through Sport, Development through Sport, Environmental Protection
and Sport, Women and Sport and Personal Development through Sport. Further, the
Olympic Solidarity project supports developing nations that wish to participate
in the Olympic movement.  The IOC has been honored and recognized for its
activities directed toward public good by organizations around the world and
has worked with numerous organizations including UNAIDS, UNICEF, UNHCR, UNESCO,
UNOSDP, UNEP, the International AIDS Society, the World Health Organization,
the World Intellectual Property Organization, Red Cross and Red Crescent
National Societies, and many more. More information can be found about these
efforts at www.olympic.org<http://www.olympic.org>.

RE: Qualification Criteria

The IOC is unsure about the relevance of some of the added criteria, and note
that some questions are unnecessarily repetitive.  However, we have answered
the questions as requested and look forward to a productive discussion in
tomorrow's call.

RE: Eligibility Criteria

The IOC does not have any specific revisions to the content of the Eligibility
Criteria Spreadsheet.

The only comment we have is that we do not believe that .int is an appropriate
criterion to apply across the board, as the IOC and other INGOs do not qualify
for a .int.

RE: Admission to Protections

The IOC does not have any specific revisions to this spreadsheet.

However, the IOC believes that once an organization satisfies the qualification
criteria, that they should be admitted upon application without having to jump
through any additional hoops.

RE: Protections

The IOC does not have any specific revisions to your work, however we do have
two comments.

First, the IOC is concerned about the contemplation that existing RPMs will be
adequate to address the amount of cybersquatting and fraudulent activity in
relation to the Olympic words.  We believe that the RPMs are easily outstripped
by the magnitude of the problem faced by the IOC and others.

Second, the IOC would like to register it's preference for the "Modified
Reserved Names List with exemption procedure" option.  We do not believe that
such an option would necessarily require a "complex new procedure" as you note.
 The last IOC/RCRC Drafting Team contemplated and considered how existing
mechanisms could address legitimate use issues.  The DT discussed using the
UDRP or URS, or internal mechanisms like Registry Ombudsman or Registry
Arbitration.

We look forward to discussing these points on tomorrow's call.

Best regards,

Jim Bikoff, David Heasley and Kiran Malancharuvil

Kiran J. Malancharuvil
Silverberg, Goldman & Bikoff, L.L.P.
Georgetown Place
1101 30th Street NW, Suite 120
Washington, DC 20007
(202) 944-3307 - office
(619) 972-7810 - mobile
kmalancharuvil@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:kmalancharuvil@xxxxxxxxx>

This message from the law firm of Silverberg, Goldman & Bikoff LLP may contain
confidential or privileged information. If you received this transmission in
error, please call us immediately at (202) 944-3307 or contact us by e-mail at
kmalancharuvil@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:kmalancharuvil@xxxxxxxxx>. Disclosure or use of
any part of this message by persons other than the intended recipient is
prohibited.