ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-igo-ingo]

[gnso-igo-ingo] Response to ADM assignment on Thresholds and Metrics

  • To: gnso-igo-ingo@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [gnso-igo-ingo] Response to ADM assignment on Thresholds and Metrics
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 11:45:51 -0500

Hi,

One of the assignments for the ADM team was to come up with recommendations for
the numbers and metrics listed as undefined variables in the ADM sheet.  We
wish to recommend a procedure for calculating these values:

o Look at the history of problems for the ICANN 19 created gTLDs (The 19
excludes the Original TLDs -  .com, .net, .org as they has different dynamics).
 Additionally we may want to add in consideration of some of the new g-ccTLDs,
i.e TLDs that look like ccTLDs but function as gTLDs.

o That this information be collected along with much of the data collection
effort as suggested by ALAC, specifically as Chuck indicated:

> - A list of TLDs in which they have registered their requested names, or
> otherwise taken action to prevent them being registered by others.

In this case the count of distinct names is most appropriate.

> - Identification of any disputes over identical names, names that would have
> been disallowed if the requested policy had been in place for all gTLDs, and
> the outcomes of these disputes.

Again, information regarding the number of such disputes, Broken out between:

- Original 3 gTLDs
- 2002 type gTLDs
- sTLDs
- g-type ccTLDs (g/ccTLDs)
- restricted ccTLDs

This same information for similar names would also be useful.

> - Identification/elaboration of the harms caused by the above cases.

Again, counts of harm, according to various categories of harm.  This statistic
should also include:

- The numer of such harms that were subjected to UDRP or Court Proceedings
- The number of those cases that were successful in the types of proceedings

> - An estimate of the magnitude of these cases compared to other domain name
> conflicts which will not be prevented by the requested gTLD protections.

o  Once the data collection is completed, thresholds and metrics that are
consistent with history can be gleaned and used not only in deciding which
Admissions criteria have significance, but for those that are significant, what
appropriate levels might be.

avri