ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-igo-ingo]

[gnso-igo-ingo] RE: Objective Criteria Shortlist

  • To: "gnso-igo-ingo@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-igo-ingo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-igo-ingo] RE: Objective Criteria Shortlist
  • From: Kiran Malancharuvil <kmalancharuvil@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 17:58:40 +0000

Dear Claudia and All:

While we agree with many of your points, that organizations should be
international, non-profit organizations that serve the public good, our goal,
as Thomas has reminded us, is to develop a prioritized short list of criteria
that are objective, easily verified, and justified.

While the points you raise (including membership composition, organizational
mandate to serve the public good, and the remaining items 3-7) are good
justifications for protection, they do not represent appropriate criteria for
special protection, as they would be difficult to implement and over-inclusive.

This group must focus on this distinction when developing qualification
criteria.  Criteria must be objective, easily verified, and not overly
inclusive.  Questions such as X-number of domain names and what constitutes a
"public good" run a high risk of being arbitrary and subjective.

In addition,  we very much agree with you that any treaty and/or national law
should be relevant to the string protected.  For example, the national laws
cited by the IOC protect against the unauthorized use of at least the words
Olympic and Olympiad, as we stated  in last week's call.     This can be easily
verified.

We look forward to discussing this more on today's call.

Best regards,

Jim Bikoff, David Heasley and Kiran Malancharuvil

Kiran J. Malancharuvil
Silverberg, Goldman & Bikoff, L.L.P.
Georgetown Place
1101 30th Street NW, Suite 120
Washington, DC 20007
(202) 944-3307 - office
(619) 972-7810 - mobile
kmalancharuvil@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:kmalancharuvil@xxxxxxxxx>

This message from the law firm of Silverberg, Goldman & Bikoff LLP may contain
confidential or privileged information. If you received this transmission in
error, please call us immediately at (202) 944-3307 or contact us by e-mail at
kmalancharuvil@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:kmalancharuvil@xxxxxxxxx>. Disclosure or use of
any part of this message by persons other than the intended recipient is
prohibited.