ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-igo-ingo]

Re: [gnso-igo-ingo] Need clarification on scope of names

  • To: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-igo-ingo] Need clarification on scope of names
  • From: Thomas Rickert <rickert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 16:47:47 +0100

Hello Avri,
that is definitely a question that needs to be answered. Thank you for
reminding us of your important statement in the chat.

There are three parts to the question in my opinion:

1. Our task
I had explained that I understood our charter to task us with protection of
identical matches of the names and acronyms. We should get more views on how
the charter shall be construed (I know that at least two participants of the
call expressed that they deem the charter to be broader).

2. The wishes of the participants
What level of protection do the requesting parties wish? In my view our
discussions should under no circumstances go beyond the actual need for
protection voiced by the requesting parties.

3. Level of similarity
You mentioned examples where the SLD is either an exact match or included in
the string. Just to make sure we do not need to revisit this discussion later:
Is there anyone in the group that wishes to even go beyond that, i.e. by
considering similar strings and not exact matches, such as typos or other
variations (e.g. redcrss.gTLD)?

Thanks,
Thomas

thomas-rickert.tel