ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-igo-ingo]

[gnso-igo-ingo] Nature of the problem / Evidence of harm discussion

  • To: "rickert@xxxxxxxxxxx" <rickert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-igo-ingo] Nature of the problem / Evidence of harm discussion
  • From: Jim Bikoff <jbikoff@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 22:57:33 +0000

Thomas,

The IOC has already demonstrated harm through the distribution of watch report
data, statutory analysis and evidence of defensive registrations by the IOC and
National Olympic Committees.

Having said that, we do not believe that a demonstration of harm is a necessary
component for protection. Laws in multiple jurisdictions prohibit unauthorized
registration of the Olympic words, and do not require a showing of harm. As
Stephane Hankins pointed out on behalf of the Red Cross/Red Crescent, the laws
enable these organizations to prevent harm from occurring.

Best regards,

Jim

James L. Bikoff
Silverberg, Goldman & Bikoff, LLP