ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-igo-ingo]

RE: [gnso-igo-ingo] Proposed Agenda: IGO-INGO Meeting for 13 FEB 2013

  • To: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>, GNSO IGO INGO <gnso-igo-ingo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-igo-ingo] Proposed Agenda: IGO-INGO Meeting for 13 FEB 2013
  • From: "Roache-Turner, David" <david.roacheturner@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 18:16:04 +0000

Dear Avri, and working group colleagues,

On behalf of the OECD, UPU, WIPO and 40 IGOs in coalition:

We would vigorously oppose the making of any such recommendation by this
working group to delay introduction of the protection of IGO names and acronyms
which is already provided for in the Board's resolution.

It may be that there is some misunderstanding regarding the interim nature of
the protection which is contemplated in that resolution (acknowledging the GAC
Toronto advice on interim protection), and expressly based on an approach which
contemplates the possible lifting of such a protection at a subsequent time.

In fact, its principal resolutions acknowledge the continuing nature of GNSO
work on policy after the Feb 28 deadline, and (as was also indicated at the
outset of these working group deliberations) also request GNSO Council advice,
by Feb 28, if it is aware of any concern such as with the global public
interest or the security or stability of the DNS, that the Board should take
into account in making its decision about whether to include certain second
level protection for certain IGO names and acronyms by inclusion on a reserve
list.

Even if it would somehow be regarded as within the mandate of this working
group to advise the GNSO council on these particular matters (and let it be
recalled that this was discussed earlier in the group to the effect that the
issue of the Board's resolution was a matter for the Council and not the
working group), we see absolutely no evidence of concern with respect to the
global public interest (indeed, quite the contrary), with respect to the
security or stability of the DNS, or otherwise on the record before this
working group, which would justify the issuance of such a recommendation.
Rather, and on the contrary, we see a very compelling legal and public policy
interest in the Board proceeding with the protection contemplated in its
resolution.  We do not believe that the Board, in proceeding to implement this
resolution, would in any way preclude this working group from continuing with
its policy deliberations in due course.

However, we would have a very real concern that the Board's failure to timely
proceed with the granting of interim protection as contemplated in that
resolution may come at a very real cost to IGOs, particularly in the context of
ICANN's planned expansion of the DNS.

In sum, we do not believe this working group should be recommending any
deferral in implementation of the Board's resolution on interim protection of
IGO names and acronyms, the conservative purpose of which is precisely to
enable this working group to continue with its policy deliberations without
undue concern that an appropriate interim protection measure would not be in
place.  As we have all seen, the matters under discussion in the present group
are complex, and the realistic prospects for completion of the group's work
seem rather more distant at present that the stated timeframe for ICANN's DNS
expansion plans would comfortably accommodate.  Again, that is why the
protection contemplated in the resolution is envisaged to be of an interim
nature.

In conclusion, we strongly believe that the appropriate course is for the Board
to proceed with the implementation of its resolution from the date
contemplated, for the GNSO Council to consider any advice it may have in that
context, and for this working group to continue its policy deliberations in
accordance with its mandate.

With best regards,

David, Ricardo and Sam