ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-igo-ingo]

Re: [gnso-igo-ingo] Qualification Criteria

  • To: Robin Gross <robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-igo-ingo] Qualification Criteria
  • From: Alain Berranger <alain.berranger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2013 16:15:59 -0500

I agree with Robin's objections. It is getting way too complicated anyway.

I suggest the ILP test, with onus put on the organization itself to
demonstrate its ILP status, can provide a strong element of a solution -
unless it is the group's objective to open this door widely to many
organizations. The benefit, IMHO, is that ICANN would seriously limit the
entry to those organizations which are widely considered to hold
independent ILP, are willing to make the effort to openly demonstrate their
ILP status, and that is desirable. Surely the DNS will be better off if we
have less than more of such eligible organizations.

See http://www.iana.org/domains/int/policy for a precedent related to .int
- the first part of qualification 3 that may be useful to us here: *"The
organization that is established must be widely considered to have independent
international legal personality and must be the subject of and governed by
international law. ". *
*
*
I doubt that the Red Cross/Red Crescent, Médecins Sans Frontières, Oxfam
and other organizations who belong in that set of humanitarian
organizations will have trouble demonstrating their ILP if they so desire.

*Alain
*

--
Alain Berranger, B.Eng, MBA
Member, Board of Directors, CECI,

AVIS DE CONFIDENTIALITÉ
Ce courriel est confidentiel et est à l’usage exclusif du destinataire
ci-dessus. Toute personne qui lit le présent message sans en être le
destinataire, ou l’employé(e) ou la personne responsable de le remettre au
destinataire, est par les présentes avisée qu’il lui est strictement
interdit de le diffuser, de le distribuer, de le modifier ou de le
reproduire, en tout ou en partie . Si le destinataire ne peut être joint ou
si ce document vous a été communiqué par erreur, veuillez nous en informer
sur le champ  et détruire ce courriel et toute copie de celui-ci. Merci de
votre coopération.

CONFIDENTIALITY MESSAGE
This e-mail message is confidential and is intended for the exclusive use
of the addressee. Please note that, should this message be read by anyone
other than the addressee, his or her employee or the person responsible for
forwarding it to the addressee, it is strictly prohibited to disclose,
distribute, modify or reproduce the contents of this message, in whole or
in part. If the addressee cannot be reached or if you have received this
e-mail in error, please notify us immediately and delete this e-mail and
destroy all copies. Thank you for your cooperation.