ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-igo-ingo]

RE: [gnso-igo-ingo] Qualification Criteria

  • To: Berry Cobb <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "gnso-igo-ingo@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-igo-ingo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-igo-ingo] Qualification Criteria
  • From: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2013 21:49:13 +0000

The following are my personal comments.

I continue to have concerns about the subjective nature of some of the criteria
as listed below.

Model A (alpha)

*        "Organizations . . . whose primary mission is of such public
importance that some form of special protection for its name and acronym can be
justified"  If we decided to accept this criterion, we would have to decide how
to measure levels of 'public importance' and then establish some level of those
measurements that must be achieved for an organization to qualify.

*        "Protection in multiple national jurisdictions"  How many
jurisdictions would be needed?  Does it matter which jurisdictions are counted,
i.e., their size or geographic locations?

*        "Mission serving the global public interest"  What is in the 'global
public interest'?  Is the public interest the same across all jurisdictions,
societies, form of government, etc.?  Who would set the criteria of what is in
the public interest?  Who would evaluate whether any such criteria are
satisfied?

*        "inclusion in the Ecosoc list"  Why?  I appreciate the value of a
recognized list of organizations and also one that is limited, but when I look
at the prerequisites for organizations to be included, I don't think I see any
that stand out as needing special protections.

Model B (bravo or beta)

*        "its primary mission be of such public importance"  If we decided to
accept this criterion, we would have to decide how to measure levels of 'public
importance' and then establish some level of those measurements that must be
achieved for an organization to qualify.

*        "it receives multilateral or multinational protection beyond ordinary
trademark laws"  How many nations would be needed?  Does it matter which
nations are counted, i.e., their size or geographic locations?  Are 10 small
nations that involve 5 million people counted the same as 10 large nations that
include half of the world's population ?

*        "some form of special protection for its name and acronym can be
justified"  How do we determine what is justified? Who makes that decision?
Who evaluates whether an organization meets the criteria for justification.

Both models in my opinion raise very similar issues with regard to subjectivity.

One option is for this WG to make a lot of the subjective decisions regarding
the above criteria.  In other words, we could to the best of our ability try to
reach reasonable agreement on specific answers to the questions I asked.
Another option would be to simply accept recommendations submitted by the GAC
or some modification of them.  A third option is to avoid any subjective
decisions, an option that I am not necessarily advocating.  And I am sure there
are other options.

Whatever we decide to recommend, we need to be able to provide a rationale so
we need to keep that in mind  as we move forward, i.e., we need to provide an
explanation of why we made our recommendations that is hopefully sellable to
the broader GNSO community.

Chuck