ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-igo-ingo]

RE: [gnso-igo-ingo] Protections Worksheet v0.3

  • To: Berry Cobb <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "gnso-igo-ingo@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-igo-ingo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-igo-ingo] Protections Worksheet v0.3
  • From: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2013 21:49:31 +0000

The following are my personal comments regarding the following notes in the
legend:

"(*1) Modified Reserved Names List
Basic parameters:
- designations will be included in the list upon application with ICANN after
eligibility of the organization has been verified by ICANN or an appropriate
third party
- the protected organization can apply for a string on the list
- third parties can apply for a string on the list; they are deemed an eligible
party when legitimate use is either evidenced to ICANN or with a Public
Interest Commitment (Specification 11 to the Registry Agreement) by    which
the legitimate use is bindingly agreed upon. In case of violations of the
Public Interest Commitment, the RRDRP could be used or ICANN could be entitled
to terminate the Registry Agreement.
- In case there is a contention set between a protected organization and an
eligible third party, ICANN's string contention procedures should apply"

Regarding the 3rd bullet:

*        It seems to me that in the case of trademarks and, if the TMCH is
expanded as necessary to include any IGOs and INGOs, also applicable IGOs &
INGOs, evidence of eligibility could be evidenced via the TMCH.

*        Note that the RRDRP only applies to community-based gTLDs so it its
use in this regard would be limited.  If a PIC spec was used to fulfill this
and if the PIC Spec is implemented as currently proposed by ICANN Staff,
violations would be handled via a yet-to-be defined third party arbitrator.

*        I think we should be careful about suggesting when 'ICANN could be
entitled to terminate the Registry Agreement'; one of the problems historically
is that enforcement options were limited to termination of the agreement; that
extreme solution resulted in it being used extremely rarely, whereas if there
were progressive steps required before termination, compliance enforcement
would likely be more effective.

"(*5)
- Identifyer Clearing House"

*        Is the idea here to create another entity like the TMCH?  If so, that
doesn't seem like a realistic idea in my opinion.

*        Modifying the TMCH to accommodate applicable IGOs or INGOs seems much
more doable to me.

Chuck