ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-igo-ingo]

Re: [gnso-igo-ingo] Exception Procedure

  • To: Robin Gross <robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-igo-ingo] Exception Procedure
  • From: Mason Cole <mcole@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2013 23:30:15 -0700

I would say the RrSG mostly agrees with Robin here.

From an operational perspective it will be difficult for registrars to somehow
explain to a registrant with a legitimate interest in a name why it's denied,
and why the registrant would be obligated to overcome to an unknown arbiter the
presumption that another party's interest in the SLD should prevail.  It's a
burden registrants are not accustomed to, would increase costs and create
customer confusion.  This isn't to be dismissed.  Making assumptions about how
easy it is to put various and arbitrary parameters on how to register a domain
name is not a slam-dunk and unfortunately has delayed or prevented various
desired outcomes after facts become clear.

At the policy level, the DNS has historically defaulted to open speech and
usage by legitimate registrants that intend lawful use of a term, with remedies
or protections available to those whose legal rights supersede in defined
cases.  Right now, we lack definition of concrete, recognizable and practical
exceptions for the organizations under discussion.  Be clear it's not a case of
not being sympathetic to the situation faced by IGOs and INGOs -- just that the
whatever solution is arrived at is practical and implementable without
overreaching.  It doesn't seem we're there yet.

And Robin is further right -- if this WG is going to arrive at something that
can be agreed to, it must be reasonable in scale and simple to implement in the
face of multiple priorities by operators.  I would hate to see efforts arrive
at nothing because the menu was too broad to be actually doable.

Mason