ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-igo-ingo]

Re: [gnso-igo-ingo] Exception Procedure

  • To: "gnso-igo-ingo@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-igo-ingo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-igo-ingo] Exception Procedure
  • From: Thomas Rickert <rickert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 10:43:22 +0100

Hi Robin, Mason, all,
thanks for your messages.

A quick response to two points you made:

- Robin said: The need for special privileges has not been shown by most of
those seeking it here.

The issue is that those seeking protections have either declared that they do
not see the need to provide further information or deem the information they
have provided sufficient.
On the other hand, those asking for more information have not specified what
exactly they would like to see to satisfy their concerns.
In order to help overcome this difficulty, ICANN staff has analyzed existing
domain registrations. Yet, this was not deemed sufficient to resolve the issue.

As chair, I have stated (and am more than happy to repeat this here) that I do
not see any possibility to move on (rather than moving in circles) in a
constructive manner unless we can specify what information exactly is needed by
those that only seem to be able to consider protections if they get more facts.
We can then ask the organizations seeking protections whether they are willing
to respond to such request.

In the absence of that, I see no alternative than to live with the current
situation. That means (and I have also made that clear multiple times) that
there is the risk that parts of the community will say no to protections merely
because they do not have enough facts on the need for protection / the
existence of harm available.

- Both of you voiced concerns that legitimate third parties should go through
an exemption process as described.

I have not heard any objections before in the group against the need for an
exemption process since there do not seem to be absolute legal protections for
the organizations seeking protections for their names and acronyms. Hence,
there must be a process for ensuring that legitimate use can happen.

Reading your responses, I am not quite sure with respect to the consequences.

Are you saying that you do not see the need for an exemption process because
you would under no circumstances agree to protections that would include an
exemption mechanism? In other words: An exemption mechanism would by definition
lead to registration requests being given special treatment. My impression is
that you are against any procedures that would give domain registration
requests special treatment. If that were true, you would per se be against any
proactive protection mechanisms.

But, if you are just unhappy with the way the exemption process David proposed
in his e-mail is designed, please let us know what changes would need to be
made to respond to your concerns.

Can you please clarify?

Again, we are now at a point of our discussions where I need to get feedback
what needs to be done to address concerns.

Any member (and I am not addressing you, Robin and Mason, in particular) that
is not happy with the proposals you find in the latest versions of the
documents that are on the table should say what we need to do to respond to
concerns that should be specified.

Lacking such information we cannot create a package that finds everyone's
approval. As I said, we need to bring this to a close. I will further refine
the documents based on the group's input and then it is up to everyone to say
yes or no.

Thanks,
Thomas