ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-igo-ingo]

[gnso-igo-ingo] MP3 IGO-INGO Protections Policy Development Process (PDP) Working Group - 20 March 2013

  • To: "gnso-igo-ingo@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-igo-ingo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-igo-ingo] MP3 IGO-INGO Protections Policy Development Process (PDP) Working Group - 20 March 2013
  • From: Julia Charvolen <julia.charvolen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 14:45:04 -0700

Dear All,

The next call for the IGO-INGO Protections Policy Development Process (PDP)
Working Group is scheduled on Wednesday 27 March 2013 at 1900 UTC.

Please find the MP3 recording of the IGO-INGO Protections Policy Development
Process (PDP) Working Group teleconference held on Wednesday  20 March 2013 at
1700 UTC at:

http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-igo-ingo-20130320-en.mp3

On page:
http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/#<http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/#feb>mar

Calendar page:
http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/

Attendees:
Jim Bikoff – IPC/IOC
Avri Doria – NCSG
Elizabeth Finberg – RySG
Chuck Gomes – RySG
Alan Greenberg - ALAC
Catherine Gribbin - Red Cross
Stephane Hankins - NCSG
David Heasley - IPC/IOC
David Maher - RySG
Kiran Malancharuvil - IPC/IOC
Osvaldo Novoa – ISPCP
Christopher Rassi - Red Cross
Thomas Rickert – NCA –Working group chair
Claudia MacMaster Tamarit – ISO
Mary Wong - NCUC

Apologies:
Lanre Ajayi - NCA
Debra Hughes – Red Cross
Greg Shatan - IPC
Guilaine Fournet – IEC
Wolgang Kleinwaechter – NCSG
Ricardo Guilherme – RySG
Wilson Abigaba - NCSG

ICANN Staff:
Samantha Eisner
Brian Peck
Berry Cobb
Glen de saint Géry
Julia Charvolen

Thank you.
Kind regards,
Julia Charvolen
For GNSO Secretariat
*************

Adobe Chat transcript for 20 March 2013:

Berry Cobb:Welcome to the 20 MAR 2013 IGO-INGO Teleconference.
  Julia Charvolen:Maru Wong joined the meeting
  Julia Charvolen:Mary*
  IOC:Hi Julia, David Heasley, Kiran Malancharuvil and Jim Bikoff here.  Thanks!
  Julia Charvolen:Noted thank you
  Julia Charvolen:Claudia MacMaster Tamarit joined the call
  Chuck Gomes:The problem with using 'public interest' as a criterion is that
there is no commonly accepted definition of it and I think it is unlikely that
we could agree on one.
  Mary Wong:@Chuck, I agree.
  IOC:Agreed Chuck.
  Chuck Gomes:I want to thank Sam for her participation; I have found it to be
very useful.
  Avri Doria:Doesn't the ICANN consensus process define the public interst for
ICANN on each specific issue.  We discuss the issue of what is in the public
interest in the PDP WG, and then Fnal Report as mediated by the comments of the
community and the advice of advisory committees, the Board decides on the
public interest.
  Mary Wong:DItto; and as a lawyer I'm glad she is here as our group tries to
develop robust, objective and defensible procedures that depend largely on the
legal foundations for international protection!
  Mary Wong:@Avri, it's true that this (and other) WG can define it for a
specific purpose, but I would want to be sure that it (1) is only used for that
specific purpose and (2) does not mean ICANN is taking a position as to what
the "public interest" is - esp. since that's a thorny subject in international
law circles.
  Chuck Gomes:@ Avri - Even it that is true, can it be defined in a way that is
measurable as a criteron?
  IOC:We actually got disconnected.  We are calling back.
  IOC:Sorry
  Chuck Gomes:I am seeing the document.
  IOC:I can see it.
  Thomas Rickert:please raise your had and speak up in case there is something
in the document that you would like to comment on.
  Alan Greenberg:As did I
  David Maher:I agree w/ Avri's comments.
  Avri Doria:In implicit licensing, I include "thank you for the donation, of
course we will not object to your declaration"
  IOC:As discussed many times before, we believe that this can be easily
addressed by imposing rules on the organizations regarding how the
non-objection process would operate.
  Avri Doria:As my expereinces in ICANn teaches me rules are just an
opportunity for the creative.
  Avri Doria:please the meetings should be opne.
  Avri Doria:the default should be openess.  please!
  Mary Wong:Yes
  Chuck Gomes:I think we should invite other key parties but I suspect that the
GAC will be busy working on GAC Advice.
  Avri Doria:i will also be flying on the 3rd
  Chuck Gomes:I am flying on the 3rd as well.
  Mary Wong:I won't be flying to Beijing till Friday but will be at a
conference on the 3rd.
  Avri Doria:keep up what energy?
  Chuck Gomes:Thanks Thomas.