ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-igo-ingo]

RE: [gnso-igo-ingo] Re: [] RySG Recommendations

  • To: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>, "GNSO IGO INGO (gnso-igo-ingo@xxxxxxxxx)" <gnso-igo-ingo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-igo-ingo] Re: [] RySG Recommendations
  • From: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2013 15:52:52 +0000

Avri,

Please see my responses below.

Chuck

[Gomes, Chuck] As I think our document says, in our opinion there is not a
definitive global legal reason, but there is quite a bit of legal evidence that
some major jurisdictions provide various protections for the applicable
organizations. Therefore, because this is a public policy issue, it seems
reasonable to respect the advice of the ICANN advisory committee tasked with
giving public policy advice.  With regard to letting each registry and
registrar follow its own local laws, that would not provide a very predictable
environment for registries, registrars, registrants or users, so it is our view
that our recommendations provide more predictability while still being
consistent with the principles and recommendations of the New gTLD PDP.

> Having said that, the pragmatics of the situation where the Board has already
> approved these special privileges, in a so-called temporary manner, I figure
> opposing this is a lost cause.
>
> > b.     Require applicable IGOs to apply for protection of their full names
> > at the
> top and/or second levels prior to finalizing the list of qualifying
> organizations
> that would receive protection
>
> Against what standards would these applications be made?   If we are going to
> allow people to apply for special protection for their names we have to take
> the
> widest possible approach to this and allow every NGO and charitable
> institution
> the same privileges.
[Gomes, Chuck]  They would simply have to be on the GAC list.  The idea here is
not to evaluate applications against specific standards but rather to only give
protection to those listed organizations that actually want to have the
protections and therefore not taking names out of commission if there is really
not a desire for protection.  This would be a very simple process whereby an
organization on the list would just request the protection offered by the
policy.

> > c.     As a basis for possible protection of acronyms of IOC, RCRC and IGO
> names, modify new gTLD rights protection mechanisms (TM Clearinghouse, URS
> & UDRP) as applicable to include acronyms of the protected names from a.
> above so that such acronyms could be included in both sunrise and claims
> processes in the same way as trademarks in the TMCH.
>
> While I support the inclusion of names into the TMCH for the organizations
> requesting special privileges, I do not accept the inclusion of acronyms.  As
> has
> been shown, these have too many other possible meanings and uses.
[Gomes, Chuck] We have the same concern; that is why we oppose direct
protection like is proposed for the full organization names.  But we thought
that this approach might be a reasonable approach to provide some protection
for acronyms. Maybe this could be tweaked further.

> I do support the use of URDP and URS by these organizations and support the
> expansion of UDRP and URS as needed to add these special protection privileges
> as a reason for use of UDRP and URS.
>
> > d.     Provide an exception process whereby an organization not covered by
> > any
> protections but having legitimate rights could apply for a protected name
>
> I do not support any form of exemption for names on a reserved list except the
> RSEP process.  Certainly within the RSEP process, the evidence of the
> privileged
> party should be taken into account, but only if it can be definitely shown and
> guaranteeed that no compensation either direct or indirect has been, or will
> be,
> given for the permission.
[Gomes, Chuck] There is already precedent for an exception process with regard
to 2-character second level domain names and this would not be much different
than that.

> > e.     Allow protected organizations to apply for their names at the top
> > level
> and/or second levels
>
> I only support use of the RESP process as means of allowing a name on a
> reserved list to be registered.
>
> I do not support the creation of new mechansims for such reserved list
> registrations.
>
> A question I ask, if we allow a designated agency to register 'its' reserved
> names,
> what is to stop it from then transferring that registration to a rich donor
> for a
> significant consideration.  Do we also need to put special condition in the
> IRTP
> process for these once reserved names?  Do we already have a defined process
> in the policy for a permanently non transferable name? Or would we need to
> create such a policy? (After years in the IRTP-x WGs I should know this but
> don't.
> I know the state could probably be set, but could it be deemed permanent and
> immutable? )
[Gomes, Chuck] I am not aware of any such process that would prevent transfers.
 There are requirements that deal with a situation where a legacy registration
that was later disallowed are grandfathered until such time that they are
deleted; such names would not be eligible for re-registration.  But I do not
think that registrant transfers are disallowed.